KINDELI

PAST WINES

2017 VINTAGE: In New Zealand, 2017 was an incredibly challenging season. It basically rained nonstop from bud-break until harvest. The frequency of botrytis and sour rot meant insane amounts of sorting. Alex even left an entire vineyard of Chardonnay out for the birds to eat because the fruit was all but desiccated. The fruit they did manage to harvest was lower in sugar and created elegant wines with fresh acid and bright perfumes. Despite the challenges, many people I spoke to in NZ are calling this Alex’s best vintage yet.

2017 LA LECHUZA (RIESLING PET-NAT)

Riesling grown on Mourtere Gravels and Clay is used for this cuvée. The skins soak with the juice for 12 hours before being pressed and settled. Once there is 8 g/l of sugar left in the must the wine is chilled near freezing. In the spring the wine is bottled and naturally warms up. The continuation of fermentation renders the wine sparkling (It took a few extra months to get to dryness this vintage). It is not fined, filtered, nor disgorged, and has no added SO2. 11.5% ABV

(200 Cases Produced) 788489

2017 BLANCO

This wine is made from equal parts Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. Half the grapes were fermented on the skins, a quarter were fermented as whole-clusters under a blanket of CO2, and the remaining portion was whole-cluster pressed. Fermentation and ageing vessels include stainless steel, amphora, and neutral oak barrel. The wine was bottled unfined and unfiltered without additional Sulphur. 11% ABV

(400 Cases Produced) 788495

 

2017 TINTO

This vin de soif is a combination of Pinot Noir (75%), Syrah (15%), and Pinot Gris (10%) planted on a combination of Moutere Clay and Gravel. 40% was fermented as whole bunches, 20% was fully carbonic maceration, and the remainder was destemmed. Fermentation and élevage were done in stainless steel. It is bottled unfined and unfiltered with less than 10ppm of SO2. 12.5% ABV

(400 Cases Produced) 788493

2017 KINDELI PRIMAVERA

2017 PRIMAVERA

This wine is made from a blend of Pinot Noir, Syrah, Chardonnay, and Riesling. The grapes were destemmed, crushed, and left on the skins over-night. In the morning, the juice was pressed off and started fermenting in stainless steel. At 10g/l of sugar, the still-fermenting wine was bottled resulting in a wine with a couple atmospheres of pressure. The wine was not disgorged, and no Sulphur was added. 10.5% ABV

(175 Cases Produced) 800939

2016 EL JABALI (SYRAH)

William Murdoch Vineyard is located in the Gimblett Gravels, Hawkes Bay. They harvest their Syrah quite early to retain freshness. 80% of the grapes were fermented as whole clusters, while the remaining 20% was destemmed and left on the skins for two weeks. Élevage was entirely in stainless steel. It is bottled unfined and unfiltered with less than 10ppm of SO2. 10.9% ABV (0.3 g/l VA)

(150 Cases Produced) 788490

2017 KINDELI VERANO

2017 Verano

Alex went a little bit crazy with this cuvée; he wanted to blend every single grape he grows together to get a full picture of the terroir he works with. Every fermentation technique was used on this wine: carbonic, destemmed, whole-cluster, direct press, and so on. Fermentation vessels range from stainless steel to amphora. The wine was bottled without fining, filtration, or Sulphur. 11% ABV

(175 Cases Produced) 800938

2016 Pinot Gris (Martinborough)

The Pinot Gris vines for this cuvee are planted on Martinborough Gravels. Alex makes a starter in the vineyard which he uses to inoculate the juice for fermentation. The wine spends 40 days on the skins in a combination of 200L Australian amphora and stainless steel. Gentle pumpovers are done for a minute or two each day to wet the cap. It is bottled unfined and unfiltered with less than 10ppm of SO2. 11.8% ABV (0.55 g/l VA)

(110 Cases Produced) 788479

2017 KINDELI OTONO

2017 otoño

Gewürztraminer was fermented on skin for 21 days in amphora after being destemmed. Riesling juice is then poured over the spent skins for a day before the wines are blended and finish fermenting and ageing in Amphora. The wine is then racking into stainless steel before bottling. The final wine is bottled without fining, filtration, or SO2. 12% ABV

(175 Cases Produced) 800937

2016 Pinot Gris (Nelson)

This Pinot Gris vineyard is planted on Moutere Clay in Nelson, the northern tip of New Zealand’s South Island. The wine was fermented and aged on the skins for 36 days in Tinajas (Spanish clay amphorae). During primary fermentation the wine was pumped over once a day for a couple minutes to wet the cap. It is bottled unfined and unfiltered with less than 10ppm of SO2. 12.3 ABV (0.61 g/l VA)

(110 Cases Produced) 788488